Interested in purchasing Featherbed Island House?
We have agonized and agonized and come to the decision that it’s time to pass the torch to another family to be the next stewards of Featherbed Island House and it’s amazing property. If you’ve ever spent any time there, you’ll understand our pain. It’s truly a little corner of heaven on earth – five minutes there and you’d never want to leave.
Imagine having the deed to your own island — Featherbed Island. 2.5 acres (plus island) of rolling lawn and forest with almost 200 feet of frontage on Machias River/Bay. Small fresh-water pond, lupines, mint, comfrey, silver maple and ancient apple trees to flower the landscape.
There is a tremendous opportunity to earn income, as well as vacation at your own private island oasis — potential for over $40,000 rental income (gross). We are selling it mostly turn-key so the new owner can sign the papers and start making some moola. I am happy to consult with new owners about the vacation rental business.
Rumor has it that pirate capt Black Sam Bellemy buried his loot somewhere in proximity to the property. It’s still out there…
We have decided to price her very fairly and competitively — we didn’t want to price her super- high and wait to negotiate – we’re looking for someone to love the house and grounds as much as we do.
If you are interested, please contact me directly, asap. She will be listed with a real estate agent later this month.
During the remaining summer/early fall season, showing will only be available during changeover days (first available day to view is Aug 25th as there are month-long guests there now). I’m currently not taking any more reservations for fall/winter, so she can be available anytime for viewings starting in September. (However, if you have interest in vacationing there this fall, email me directly and I might be able to accommodate you).
Priced extremely competitively at $339,000
Year round house with oil heat
Built 2000 (garage/barn built approx. 1907), designed by an artist who used many vintage treasures from the original 100+ year old home that is now the garage.
3 bedrooms (plus den and library), 2 bath
Great room with soaring ceilings and two-story wall of windows
Walk in pantry with antique cabinetry and art studio (currently in use as our locked owner’s room)
2.5 acres on the mainland plus Featherbed Island
Rolling lawn, freshwater pond, lupine, comfrey, mint, ancient apple trees, silver-maples and birch.
Just about turn-key with most furnishings included
- new front entry stairs with composite wood
- new siding and flashing on front of house
- some replacement windows
- new stove pipe for wood stove
- whole house water filtration system
- newer kitchen appliances
- new quartz kitchen countertops
- new custom, Maine – made slate sink from Sheldon Slate in Munson, Maine
- designer-designed rustic wall and open hickory shelving in the kitchen
- new unique bathroom sinks (travertine and river rock) and faucets
- generator hook-up
- installed electric car charger
- new water heater back-up system
- two Nest thermostats
- new storm door – front door – and rain diverter
- alarm system
- new bed in master bedroom
- new mattresses – king and twin beds and pullout sofa. New topper for queen bed
- new park-style grill
- new shingles on garage to be done Sept/Oct 2018